The House - Headquarters
4020 N Rockwell
A Headquarters for The House
Every play you’ve seen at The House was conceived in a small room, with designers crowded around a table. Actors ventured to warehouses across the city to form characters that make you laugh and cry. A hired scenic shop built the set, and the stunning costumes were sewn at a kitchen table.
In early 2018, The House Theatre of Chicago will relocate its backstage and administrative operations to a new space located at 4020 N Rockwell. Performances will continue to take place at The Chopin Theatre, but this new workspace will become the “Dream Factory” where our Amazing Feats of Storytelling will be developed.
Our supporters have made this achievement possible. Make a donation toward this new space today, and make your mark on the future of The House Theatre of Chicago.
Details of The Headquarters
Scene Shop, Costume Studio
- A scene shop replete with power tools, a slop sink and skylights will enable technicians and artists to build sets, and props on site.
- The shop will also be available for rent, a rare and valuable resource for the theatre community.
- A costume studio for on-site fittings and wardrobe maintenance.
- 1,600 square feet of storage.
- Complete with a green room and kitchenette. More than 1,400 square feet!
- A sprung floor for dance and movement.
- Skylights for natural light year-round.
- A custom-installed truss for acrobatics, or illusions like the Water Torture Cell featured in Death and Harry Houdini.
- The former site of a commercial bakery.
- Will also include Anytime Fitness.
- Overlooking the Chicago River.
- Developed by entrepreneur Scott Waltenburg.
- Overlooking the north branch of the Chicago River.
- 1,800 square feet of office space will give The House the capacity to grow into its full potential.
- Will feature three enclosed offices, large conference room and capacity for nearly twenty staff and interns.
Call or email Development Manager, Lizzie to learn more