WORK WITH US
There are no open positions at this time.
Interested in appearing on stage at The House? Audition notices are posted on the Chicago Plays website and occasionally via our Facebook page, too. You can also submit your headshot and resume electronically to:
Marika Mashburn at firstname.lastname@example.org.
BECOME A HOUSE HOST!
Love the House? Love talking to people? Want a Front of House experience for your resume? All of the above? We'd love your help! We rely on our House Hosts to perform the duties of a house manager (greeting, seating assistance, etc.), as well as to start conversations and bring communities together! Even if you've never seen a House show before but would love the chance to host, we can make that happen. You'll get a T-shirt, and you and a friend will get to watch the show for free! If you're interested, apply by sending us an email at email@example.com. Be sure to include your contact information, any House shows you've seen before, what performances you'd like to host (we ask for a minimum of three for one run), and anything else you'd like us to know!
Click here to sign up for updates about internships at the House!
SUMMER INTERNSHIP APPLICATIONS ARE NOW OPEN
The House Theatre of Chicago’s internship program is designed to provide a collaborative, entrepreneurial experience for aspiring young theatremakers. The House is looking for undergraduate students, and recent college graduates interested in learning about and participating in the day-to-day functions of a growing professional theater. Our interns work directly with their department directors to advance the initiatives of each department, and collaboratively across departments with other staff and members of their internship class.
Successful candidates will be self-starters and strong communicators who are confident in their interpersonal skills and have a passion for the work of The House and its unique storytelling style. They will also be familiar with Google Apps and Microsoft Office Suite.
All internships are 12-20 hours per week, including additional hours for special events. Internships are unpaid; college credit may be arranged through your institution.
All internships require you to bring your own laptop.
- Tickets to House productions
- Experience working in an open learning environment for a nonprofit arts organization
- And the opportunity to meet and work with established artists, nonprofit professionals and our outstanding board of directors.
- Possibility of college credit
Production Management Intern
This position will work closely with the Director of Production the Assistant Production Manager. Interns will receive hands-on training and will have a direct impact on each production. Interns will also have the opportunity to craft their own experience by creating their own independent projects within the production department.
The internship may have a negotiable start and end dates. The minimum term is currently eight weeks. The intern must commit to 8-12 hours each week during regular office hours (M-F 9am-5pm). Some evenings and weekends required during technical rehearsals.
- General office administration including, but not limited to:
- Processing expense reports and check requests
- Drafting contracts
- Generating financial reports
- Maintaining electronic and paper file systems
- Maintaining production calendars
- Ordering supplies.
- Attend all production meetings and assist at technical rehearsals, which may be outside regular office hours.
- Other duties may include assisting production staff heads and assisting at load-in and load-out.
- The intern will have the opportunity for feedback and goal-planning during bi-weekly check-ins with production manager.
- The ideal candidate is an undergraduate or recent graduate in theatre looking for practical production management experience in an office environment and has a strong desire to learn about production management and an interest in pursuing production management as a career.
- Proficiency with MS Word and Excel preferred. A positive attitude and a passion for making great theatre
Application Deadline: Please submit resume and cover letter as PDFs via email to jeremy (at) thehousetheatre.com by Friday, APRIL 27, 2018. No phone calls, please.
Marketing and Audience Development Intern
This position will work primarily with the Director of Marketing and Audience Development to promote The House Theatre of Chicago and its programs to new and existing audiences. The internship will provide exposure to a wide range of tactics and methods including Ad buys, Email campaigns, direct promotion and sales, group outreach and more.
Minimum ten (10) weeks. May begin according to your school break. Approximately 12-20 hours per week on weekdays during normal office hours (Monday-Friday between 10a-6p), with additional hours for special events and rehearsal/performance attendance.
Desired Skills and Experience
- An organized self-starter with an interest in talking to Chicago theatre audiences.
- Innovative and bold communication skills
- Target Research
- Identify potential targets
- Research targets
- Assist with communications strategy and messages
- Promotional emails
- Reporting open and click-thru rates
- Social Media management
- Partnership outreach
- Promotion creation
- Including targeted messaging
- Graphic layout
- Media selections (photo and video)
- Support Open House events and Opening Nights
- Attend Marketing Committee Meetings
- Attend Staff Meetings as available
- Attend weekly Marketing/Mng. Dir. meeting as available
Application Deadline: Please submit a resume and cover letter as PDFs via email to chelsea (at) thehousetheatre.com by Friday, April 27, 2018. No phone calls, please.
Arts Administration Intern
This position will work closely with the Managing Director, Development Manager and Finance/Administration Manager on the day-to-day operations of running a nonprofit theatre company.
Scheduling is flexible, though most work should take place on weekdays during normal office hours (Monday-Friday between 9a-6p). The week surrounding two events May 12 and May 20, additional hours may be required. Some additional evenings and weekends may be required.
Desired Skills and Experience
Interest in theatre or nonprofit arts management/administration as a career
Excellent interpersonal communication skills
Ability to work independently and manage deadlines
Keen attention to detail
Experience using Microsoft Excel and Word and Google Drive
Experience using Total Info customer relationship software or other ticketing/CRM platforms a plus, but not required
Familiarity with Quickbooks accounting software a plus
Assist in developing a structure around new headquarters (4020 N Rockwell): rehearsal space rentals system, researching prospects for rehearsal and scene shop rentals, developing a facility manual.
Assist Managing Director developing/implementing office and human resource procedures including: Develop, implement and evaluate systems to ensure an efficient workplace; Support revision and further development of employee handbook; Coordinate and systematize the House Theatre internship program; Assist with human resources, benefits and vacation administration.
Assist the Finance Department with accounts payable.
Assist with organization of records.
Assist with finance related communications.
Support documentation and administration of education initiatives.
Assist with donor communications.
Log donor activities in database.
Assist with event-related tasks such as event promotion, décor, volunteer coordination and other logistics, including:
- Donor reception at new headquarters (May 10)
- Community HOUSEwarming at our new office headquarters (May 12)
- Special event fundraiser at The Chopin Theatre (May 20)
Application Deadline: Please submit resume and cover letter as PDFs via email to lizzie (at) thehousetheatre dot com by Friday, APRIL 27, 2018. No phone calls, please.
We occasionally need help sawing wood and hammering nails in the week before a show. If you want to assist with some carpentry for the arts, contact production manager Jeremy Wilson. firstname.lastname@example.org
Are you excellent at cold-calling? Do you just love licking envelopes? If you’d like to contribute your time during one of The House’s subscription or donation campaigns, or have other skills you can contribute and think we need to know about, please email us at email@example.com!